• Contact
    Contact us
    City Hall Location
    Business Hours: M-F 8AM - 5PM
    135 E Maumee St
    Adrian, MI 49221
    Tel: (517) 264-4881
    Fax: (517) 266-4693
    Email: somebody@ci.adrian.mi.us

Main contact 517-263-2161

Construction Permits

R-O-W Permits

The Engineering Department oversees permits including the following activities: any digging or construction with the City’s right-of-way (ROW), sidewalks, new driveway approaches, culvert installations, storm sewer taps, road closures, and banners. For information, regarding permits and their costs please contact our office at 517-264-4890.

For any construction within the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) right-of-way permits shall be obtained through the Jackson Transportation Service Center (TSC). MDOT permits must be obtained through their electronic permitting system. MDOT rights-of-way within the City of Adrian city limits are:

  • M52: N. Main Street– between Front Street to northern city limits
  • M52: Front Street – between N. Main Street to Broad Street
  • M52: Broad Street – between E. Front Street to E. Church Street
  • M52: Church Street – between Broad Street to S. Main Street
  • M52: S. Main Street – between Church Street to US-223
  • M34: W. Beecher Street – between S. Main Street to Sand Creek Highway
  • US-223 BR: W. Maumee Street – between US-223 to W. Church Street
  • US-223 BR: W. Church Street – between W. Maumee Street to S. Main Street

Right-Of-Way Permit Application

Sidewalk Rehabilitation

Sidewalk rehabilitation projects are managed through the Engineering Department. We administer City Ordinances 48-4.48 and 48-4.49 for sidewalk repair and maintenance.This is generally done in a clockwise manner around the city. Condemned sidewalk is generally marked with an “X” to show that it meets our criteria for an unsafe sidewalk. The ordinances state these costs are the responsibility of the adjacent property owner.

Due to the influence of trees on sidewalks, the City pays for 1/3 of all condemned sidewalk repairs. As a cost saving measure, the City grinds small mismatches in sidewalks. This grinding is done at no cost to the owner however; the mismatch must be ¾” or less to meet our criteria for grinding. If any owner of properties where grinding has occurred does not like the finished look of the slab, the owner may choose to replace the section at his cost.

Permits are required for all sidewalk work within the City’s right-of-way. Contact the Engineering Department for a permit 517-264-4829.

City Sidewalk Rehab Ordinance

Soil Erosion & Sedimentation Permits

The Engineering Department is an Authorized Public Agency (APA) for the enforcement of the Part 91 of the Natural Resources & Environmental Protection Act. “Part 91 provides for the control of soil erosion and protects the waters of the state from sedimentation. The Act is applicable to all earth change activities that disturb one or more acres of land or occurs within 500 feet of a water body.”

All construction projects require a soil erosion sedimentation plan must be submitted for review by the Lenawee County Drain Commission, if it meets the requirements to Part 91. You can contact the Lenawee County Drain Commission at 517-264-4696.

Building Permits/Inspections
The Community Development Department administers building code inspections including plumbing, mechanical and electrical, rental housing code compliance, zoning ordinances, and housing redevelopment.
Click here to go to Community Development for Site Plan, Zoning, and Inspections permits and information

© 2020 City of Adrian. All rights reserved.
go to top