Pursuant to City Ordinance, Section 66-5(c), “No person shall throw, deposit, leave, cause or permit
When Addison J. Comstock first settled along the South branch of the Raisin River in 1825 he could never have imagined the City that would grow up around him over the next 175 years. One part of that history is the Adrian Police Department which has grown from a City Marshall into the Department of today.
From those humble beginnings of one law enforcement officer, a City Marshall, the Adrian Police Department began to grow as the City of Adrian grew. City Commissioners responded to the needs of the community and the addition of Night Police Services were added to provide twenty-four hour police services. Some of these Night Policemen were David Keimball, S.M. Babcock, and Dennis Lyons. On August 1, 1878, the City Commission passed Police Resolution #13, which set the hours for Night Policemen as being 7:00pm, until the next morning when relieved of duty by the City Marshall. They were also required to work every Saturday from 1:00pm, to 5:00pm, in the downtown business district.
CLICK ON THE LINKS TO VIEW MORE HISTORICAL PICTURES.
Photo #1: c1925-1927
Photo #2: Postcard from 1910
Photo #3: Adrian Police Department – c1950
Photo #4: Adrian Police Department Officers – c1950
Photo #5: Herbert Carr & Charles Hamilton – c1958
Photo #6: Adrian Police Department – c1960
Photo #7: 1st Chief of Police, 1st City Administrator & 1st Policewoman
*If you have any old pictures of the Adrian Police Department and would like them added to our web page, please e-mail them to Tracie Seiser.