The commission packet and agenda for the Monday, August 19, 2019 City Commission meeting at 7:00pm is
In order to obtain a gun permit from the City of Adrian, you must:
- Be a resident of the City of Adrian
- Have a valid Michigan Driver’s License or picture ID
- Have no felony convictions
- Be at least 21 years old (to purchase from a dealer), or be at least 18 years old (to purchase from an individual)
- Be a U.S. citizen or have legal residence in this country/state
If you have any questions regarding the purchase of a handgun, you may call the Adrian City Police Department at 517-265-7151, between the hours of 7:30am, and 4:30pm, or contact the Michigan State Police Central Records Bureau at 517-322-5518.
The permit process is free, however the Adrian Police Department charges $10.00 for notary services. As of January 2009, the law does not require the purchaser to present their handgun to the police department for a safety inspection.
- Never assume your pistol is unloaded. You should treat every pistol as if it were loaded.
- Store your ammunition and firearm in a safe place out of the reach of children. You should also store your ammunition in a different place away from your pistol.
- For the safety of yourself and others, make sure the barrel is clear of any obstructions before discharging.
- Always keep your safety on unless firing. (Note: dropping a loaded pistol may cause accidental discharge, even with the safety on).
- Always keep the barrel pointed in a safe direction, even when dry firing, loading, or unloading.
Firearm ownership carries with it a responsibility of safeguarding the welfare of others and yourself when handling firearms. Accident prevention is the user’s responsibility. It is the responsibility of the pistol owner to know what the law is, pertaining to ownership, possession, transportation, and use of pistols.