From Mayor Angie Sword Heath: The American Red Cross is in critical need of blood donations during this
Frequently Asked Questions
- You must obtain a burn permit by calling 517-264-4856 the day you plan to burn. (Helpful hint: Check the Weather Channel or other local or online weather station for wind conditions before you call. If the winds are, or will be during the day, 10 mph or higher, we will not issue burn permits.) Permits for open burning will be given from 8:00am – 9:00pm and apply only to the day you call for permission. You will be asked for your name, address where you will be burning, a phone number where you can be reached if we need to contact you and what you will be burning. There is no charge.
- Containers and barrels are the preferred places to burn. Commercially manufactured fire places or chimineas do not require a burn permit.
- Large bonfires shall be at least 50’ from any structure and less than 5’ in diameter. Smaller bonfires shall be at least 25’ from any structure and less than 3’ in diameter.
- Keep a garden hose nearby and make sure an adult is present at all times.
- If someone in the neighborhood should complain to us, you must put the fire out.
- All fires shall be extinguished by 11:00pm.
- No fire shall exceed 3 hours in duration.
- The ONLY materials that may be burned are sticks, twigs and seasoned firewood. Leaves, pine needles, grass clippings, cardboard, packaging materials, household trash, construction or demolition materials are prohibited from being burned by Michigan law. Any material that creates smoke or odor nuisances may not be burned.
- If weather conditions are dry, winds at the fire station register more than 10 mph, temperatures are over 90°F, if it is especially humid out, or if other adverse weather conditions exist, the Officer in Charge may determine that there will be no open burning.
- Special permission must be obtained from the Fire Chief for bonfires exceeding 5’ in diameter.
The City of Adrian is an equal opportunity employer and shall consider all qualified applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, height, weight, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other protected category. We provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with a disability, if requested.