In accordance with the Governor’s Executive Orders, the City of Adrian will be holding City Commission
Variance Findings of Fact
Findings of Fact: (Section 27.05 (3) – Zoning Ordinance)
Variance: The Board of Zoning Appeals shall have the power to authorize specific variance from site development requirements such as lot area and width regulations, building height and bulk regulations, yard width and depth regulations, off-street parking and loading space requirements, of this ordinance, provided that all the required findings listed below are met:
- That there are practical difficulties or unnecessary hardships which prevent carrying out the strict letter of this Ordinance. These hardships or difficulties shall not be deemed economic, but shall be evaluated in terms of the use of a particular parcel of land.
- That a genuine hardship exists because of unique circumstances or physical condition such as narrowness, shallowness, shape, or topography of the property involved, or to the intended use of the property, that do not generally apply to other property uses in the same zoning district, and shall not be recurrent in nature.
- That the hardship or special conditions or circumstances do not result from actions of the applicant.
- That the variance will be in harmony with the general purpose and intent of this Ordinance and will not cause a substantial adverse effect upon surrounding property, property values, and the use and enjoyment of property in the neighborhood or district.
- That granting the variance will not confer on the applicant any special privilege that is denied by this Ordinance to other lands, structures or buildings in the same district.
- That the variance requested is the minimum amount necessary to overcome the inequality inherent in the particular property or mitigate the hardship.
- That the variance shall not permit the establishment, within a district, of any use which is not permitted by right within the zoning district, or any use for which a special use permit or a temporary use permit is required.
- Each variance granted under the provisions of this Ordinance shall become null and void unless:
- The construction authorized by such variance or permit has commenced within six (6) months of granting of the variance.
- The occupancy of land, premises or building has taken place within one (1) year after the granting of the variance.